About CrossWays Preschool
CrossWays Preschool is a nonprofit organization providing half day, traditional preschool programming for children 2 years to 5 years of age. We offer quality, faith based, play based programming at a superior competitive value for Lake County families.
Founded in 1991, CrossWays Preschool is an early childhood ministry of Holy Cross Lutheran Church located adjacent to the church. (Celebration! Childcare is also an early childhood ministry of Holy Cross Lutheran Church that offers full day childcare and preschool programming for children 6 weeks to 12 years of age. Both of these entities formerly used the umbrella name of Building Blocks Childhood Center. Visit Celebration! Childcare's website at cchildcare.org)
CrossWays Preschool is licensed by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).
CrossWays Preschool admits students of any race, color, national, and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. CrossWays Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of educational policies, admission policies, assistance programs and other school-administered programs.
We seek to introduce children with a world that lies beyond the home and to provide a broad base of learning to develop each child's God-given gifts socially, emotionally, physically, spiritually and educationally. Our quality, nonprofit, faith based preschool programs are designed to provide safe, nurturing environments for children to grow, play and learn.
• All children are capable of learning and have individual needs, skills, and talents.
• Partnerships between experienced, caring teachers and parents benefit the whole family.
• Children learn best through experiences that enhance their self-esteem, help them make choices, and develop competencies.
• Children learn best through play based discovery combined with teacher-directed lessons to maximize learning, creativity, and curiosity.
• Connecting children to nature develops children’s innate senses of discovery and exploration.
• God-honoring values promote sound, morally based decision making skills and treatment of others.
• Flexible programs best satisfy family needs.
• The fullest potential in each child.
• The uniqueness of each child and family.
• A nurturing, loving, safe, and secure environment.
• Service to others.
• A child’s social, emotional, physical, spiritual, and intellectual development.
• Having experiences that increase the child’s awareness of the world around them.
• A love of learning in an atmosphere of mutual trust, respect and responsibility.
• Diversity and culture.
CrossWays Preschool teachers and assistants are DCFS qualified, highly experienced and child-centered educators. Select staff receive continuing education and are CPR and First Aid certified.
Families are a vital part of CrossWays Preschool. We encourage an atmosphere of open communication and welcome parents to get involved in their child’s education. One of the best and most delightful ways of learning about CrossWays Preschool is to stop by and visit the classroom. Parents are encouraged to visit as a parent helper, “expert in the field” presenter, or helping with special projects or tasks.
We are supported by the Holy Cross Early Childhood Ministries Board, which includes parent representatives and congregation members. Parent representatives serve as liaisons for CrossWays Preschool families.
Christian faith is supported through modeling and teaching God-honoring values, participation in children’s chapel, learning bible stories, and exploring other curriculums such as Godly Play™.
We utilize the latest technology as a tool to enhance the classroom environment.
The program entrance door is locked at all times. A fob system lock is located at the entrance door. Visitors are only allowed into CrossWays Preschool with permission from the director. Security guidelines are located in the Parent Handbook.